Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a 1099 be asked to sign an employee handbook? Not a

Customer Question
Can a 1099...

Can a 1099 be asked to sign an employee handbook?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not a lawyer HR is requesting

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Im in Texas the company is in California. Work at Will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Years ago I was a W2 and than they changed me to 1099 at the NET amount

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: The employer may not require an independent contractor to sign the employee handbook. In fact, doing so places the company into a risk of liability from the independent contractor, because the independent contractor can claim they are an employee, since they signed an employee handbook.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

The company sends me a 1099 as stated. but reimburses me for expenses but does NOT pay my Federal Texas. IF I should be terminated at some point in the future the only way I would be entitled to unemployment would be IF I had signed the handbook correct otherwise I would have no recourse correct?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

No, that is incorrect. You would need to review the Department of Labor's Independent Contractor Test to determine whether the company has properly classified you as an independent contractor. Please click here to view the test.

If you determine that you should be classified as an employee under the test, then you would have additional grounds to claim that you are an employee. Signing the employee handbook would certainly help though.