Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been working for a company as a salaried employee for…

I have been working...

I have been working for a company as a salaried employee for over a year. The project I was working on has ended. The company wants me to do another position but hasn't really explained what they want me to do but I did receive an email today that this job is hourly not salary.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

There was not discussion with me prior to the email. Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been given about 12 hours of training and am supposed to go to the client site and behave as if I am an expert in the field. I am not and will not lie to the customer

11/4/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before prov and iding a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for for a period of time in which they must provide you salaried work within your experience?

I am not in a union my contract states I will be a salaried employee for two years

I see. Then they are breaching the contract by not providing you a salaried position within your skill set. You could declare the contract breached and demand an/or sue them in court for the remaining salary due on the contract.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

They do not have the position they planned to have for me when I agreed to work for them last year. They did not offer me a position doing the same thing I was hired to do or anticipated I was going to do. No one has officially explained to me what they want me to do. Monday and Tuesday of this week I was a salaried employee. Apparently Wednesday I became an hourly employee and I was told by email today Friday.
I have had a very bad experience with this company. I would like to just let them know since they do not have a job for me within my skill set or a we discussed initially I am no longer a good fit for the company. I want to be able to collect unemployment. Can they prevent me from collecting unemployment? Is my only option to sue?

You can get unemployment because they materially changed the terms of your employment. You could as such resign if they are not going to provide you employment substantially similar to that for which you were hired. I would suggest you get their new employment offer/change in terms in writing, in case they try to challenge your unemployment claim. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer