Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Its regarding a Short Term Disability claim.... NV. I'm in

Customer Question
hello...its regarding a Short Term...
hello...its regarding a Short Term Disability claim....
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NV
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm in the process of a claim that I started after having shoulder surgery, it was not a work related incident. just have damage in my shoulder from hard work and sports for years. I waited the 30 day elimination and then filed a claim to receive 60% of my pay through company I pay for benefits
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well the insurance company is telling me that they have the right to deduct any other income from any other employment, so that I can only make 60% income total...they called it an "Offset" ....it seems like they are stealing other income from other sources from a company that has nothing to do with my full time job where I purchased the disability benefits...Is this Legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
11/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes. Many times, insurers will put provisions in their contracts with you that allow them to reduce the amount of benefits you receive if you are receiving money from any other source to keep you under the 60% cap. What this means is that let's say that you are supposed to get $2,000 per month, but you have a side job or you are getting SSDI checks for $1,000 per month, then that amount will be used as an "offset" to bring you down to $1,000 per month. I sincerely ***** ***** had better news, but unfortunately, this is legal.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer