Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My daughter was denied unemployment for she was terminated.

Customer Question
She made a copy of...
My daughter was denied unemployment for she was terminated. She made a copy of some notes that her boss had in her desk. I believe she was under emotional distress and had a monetary loss of judgment.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
10/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hi, would you be able to help me understand what your specific question is regarding this:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If your are denied unemployment because of termination. What is the appeal process?

Good question The following comes directly from the state of California. They say:

If you have applied for unemployment or disability benefits and the Employment Development Department (EDD) has denied you benefits, you have the right to appeal that decision. You must file an appeal in writing to EDD. For unemployment insurance benefits, the deadline for filing the appeal is 30 days from the mailing date of the notice of determination or overpayment. For state disability or paid family leave benefits, the deadline is 20 days.

Please send your appeal form or letter to the address specified in your letter of determination. Otherwise, you can contact our offices for more information.Once your appeal is received, it is forwarded to the CUIAB where it is put in to the system as an appeal and a case number ***** ***** The case is now ready to be scheduled for a hearing and heard by and Administrative Law Judge. After the case is heard, CUIAB will prepare a decision that will be mailed to all those involved in the case (employee, employer, etc.)

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me at all.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer