Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I don't have an employment law question. My question is how

Customer Question
I don't have an employment...
I don't have an employment law question. My question is how do physicians decide they will not treat people at age 80 for behavioral health.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: No. I don't know whose HR I would talk to
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It's not employment at all. I'm trying to get my mother an appointment with a mental health doctor and they will not take her because she is 80
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
10/24/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Generally, a healthcare provider can deny coverage based on a variety of factors, including drug seeking behavior or the fact that what the patient needs is outside the scope of their practice. Howoever, under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, "it is illegal for a healthcare provider to deny a patient treatment based on the patient’s age, sex, race, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin." In this case, if the only reason that your mother is not being treated is because of her age, then it is illegal under federal law and likely your state's law as well.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer