Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is is considered discrimination to state a person is hard to

Customer Question
understand due to accent? JA: Because...
Is is considered discrimination to state a person is hard to understand due to accent?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am being served a corrective action with incomplete facts in the discipline
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
10/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the attached text culturally insensitive

It is illegal discrimination to discriminate against any employee based ONLY on their age/race/sex/disability/national origin. If an employee is not able to communicate because of some language barrier that is considered a part of national origin discrimination and the employer would have to show a bona fide business reason as to why the employee cannot properly perform their job based on their language. The text does allude to national origin discrimination. So, yes, it is potentially national origin discrimination and you would need to file a complaint with the EEOC and they have to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter and you can proceed to court against the employer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney