Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a question involving FMLA I have been working at my

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a question involving FMLA I have been working at my Company for 3 years now and I am now on FMLA due to my son attempting suicide in Feb of this year and still having issues. He sees a psychatrist and I have been out quite a bit lately. My FMLA is approved, but my Director is constantly harrassing me (she hasn't liked me for a while now and has been doing this since before I went on FMLA)
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas' sorry, i type fast lol
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I am full time they have said they can fire at will though
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have requested that I work part time at home bc other people in my same department have been given that option for similar issues and i haven't received a response and i have a bad feeling they are going to try to let me go or not approve me to work from home part time while on FMLA
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
10/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you

with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Becky, thank you very much for your patience. Generally, FMLA is allowed when an eligible employee needs to take time off to care for themselves or a sick family member. FMLA is allow or up to 12 weeks and will include job protected leave for the employee. That time can be renewed every 12 months. An employer is also not allowed to retaliate or discriminate against an employee for using this job protected leave. If the employer does, then they may be held liable for retaliation and discrimination by a local agency or by the equal employment opportunity commission. An employer may also grant intermittent FMLA for the individual to take care of their sick family member consistent with the 12 week timeline. In your case, you could request to take time off intermittently to help take care of your child through the process of intermittent FMLA. Accordingly, if your supervisor does not grant it to you when you would otherwise be eligible, then it may be a violation. However, the employer is not required to grant you permission to work from home. Generally, you may just have to request to work from home, citing the other individuals that do such a thing, or request the FMLA, which should be approved. If you are on FMLA, you won’t be allowed to work.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer