Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been discriminated and harassed at work by residents…

Customer Question
I have been discriminated...

I have been discriminated and harassed at work by residents and BOD members for over 2 yrs. I recently had surgery and have a dr.s paper to go back to wok as of 10-16. I was called on 10-14 stating not ot come in. How can I fight this harrassment

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am an Office Administrator in a retirement community in Leesburg, FL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am ready to retire in December......but with all the harassment I have been depressed, angry, loosing sleep

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/18/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Under 42 USC 2000e-2, it is generally against the law for an employer to discriminate against an employee on the basis of their disability. If you are fired and it is based primarily on your disability or if you have been harassed because of your disability, then it is against the law. It is also against state law for this to happen as well. If for some reason the discrimination and harassment is related to some non-discriminatory reason, then what they are doing, although awful, is not illegal. If you believe that you’re being discriminated against because of your disability (even if it is a temporary disability related to your surgery), then you may be able to bring a complaint within 180 days of the alleged discrimination with the equal employment opportunity commissions.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer