Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a medical condition that is slowly making it so that…

I have a medical condition...
I have a medical condition that is slowly making it so that I cannot walk or stand too long. It has gotten worse over the last 9 months or so. I have a tumor on my spinal cord and I need surgery. I am working to get my personal affairs in order so that I can have the surgery but I am terrified as well. I don't have any real friends or family for support. I cannot work at this point. I have been working as an independent contractor and I expected to have work for this season as I have had for the last several years with this company as a nest egg, but it didn't come through this year (I don't think I would have been able to finish the work either due to my physical restrictions now) So now I find myself near broke and unable to work at 50 years old. I am scared about the future as I have no income. Are there any programs that will help me? Social security? The last time I worked at a regular job was 10 years ago. Unemployment is exhausted as well.
10/18/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can apply for Social Security disability benefits. You would be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits if you can show that you have worked long enough to earn benefits and that you are unable to work because of your disability and that your disability is expected to last for at least 12 months. Social Security Administration has a very strict definition of disability.

If you have not worked long enough to qualify for benefits, you may be able to get Supplement Security Income (“SSI”). This is a program for people who are elderly or disabled who have very little or no assets and have not worked long enough to qualify for regular Social Security Disability benefits (“SSDI”).

Your ailment should be on the list of impairments. Click here to see the list:

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

You can apply for benefits online or make appointment to go to your Social Security Administration local office. You are better off doing it online in the privacy of your home--you can take your time in completing the application and the disability report.

The process is a long one and it would require a lot of patience from you:

(1) Your initial application would most likely be denied;

(2) Then, you would be given opportunity to ask for review. New updated disability report should be completed as part of this request for review. You could be turned down by the reviewing officer on your second go at it;

(3) You would be given another opportunity to appeal, this time to the Administrative Law Judge ("ALJ"). This is where most people get approved for benefits. It could take up to a year for your case to be resolved.

You can get an Attorney to assist you once you have applied and have been turned down so that the Attorney can handle the requests for appeal for you or you can get an Attorney to assist you from the beginning. Attorneys cannot charge up front for helping you apply for disability benefits. Attorneys only get paid if you are approved for benefits and they get paid a percentage of your past due benefits. The fees that the Attorneys can charge are regulated by the Social Security Administration. You can also see if you can get assistance from legal services organizations in your area for free.

Click here to see how Attorneys get paid for disability claims:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10075.pdf

Click on the links below to find Attorneys that handle disability claims:

http://www.justia.com/

http://www.lawyers.com/

Click here to start the application process:

(A) The Steps:

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/apply.html

(B) Checklists:

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/radr/10/ovw001-checklist.pdf

(C) Application:

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/dib

Supplemental Security Income Information:

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html

Best wishes,

I do not think the disability would last for over a year but I would need many months maybe 9-10. So are there any other alternatives? You said it would take over a year to be approved, are there any other programs that may cover me during that time? What about SDI or SSI?

I already provided information regarding SSDI and SSI .

You can contact the State of California for SDI to see if you can receive some assistance. Click here for more information.

I was asking if the SDI or SSI (or any other programs) may cover me during the waiting period for SSD. A year is quite a while to go without income.Thank you

SDI is the state, so that may cover you during your SSDI process. However, SSI is part of SSDI. So, you cannot get approved for SSI while your SSDI is pending.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
ok thank you

You are quite Welcome! and thank you very much for the positive rating.

All the best,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law