Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I fractured my foot on 7/30/17 and have been out of work…

I fractured my foot on...
I fractured my foot on 7/30/17 and have been out of work since. My last pay was on Oct. 1,2017. My employer stated that they did not receive a recertification that it only had a date of Oct 31,2017 and that it was not enough. I went back to dr. and asked for recertification form and they faxed it in yesterday with details I received a call from my case worker at my job and he stated that it was declined because it was not high warranted to condition. He would not elaborate and said I have to appeal. I dont know what I should write in letter. My foot is still weak and I have a boot and brace still? Where do I begin?
10/17/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

One reason your recertification has not been granted is that you've exhausted the 12 weeks (or three months) of FMLA leave effective the end of this month. So, even if you're not medically able to return, they no longer have to hold your position or pay you medical benefits as they did before. I'm not certain why they would say it's not related to your medical condition when your medical condition is a fractured foot and any continuing treatment you need on the foot or inability you have to work is because of that foot. In any event some companies have an internal FMLA appeal procedure you can use, which yours apparently has. You could submit your medical records, your original reason for taking a leave, and your doctor's opinion on the need for continued "off work" status. That would be all you need to do for an appeal letter. These aren't formal letters that are mandated by law to have any form to them at all. But, as I stated in the beginning, your FMLA leave is expired in any event. So, I'm not sure it's worth your time to even appeal.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer