Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was terminated from Menno Haven in Chambersburg for" not a

Customer Question
I was terminated from Menno...
I was terminated from Menno Haven in Chambersburg for " not a good fit for the job". I have worked there for 21/2 years with a clean record. They are withholding 50 hours of PTO time. Is that legal?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pa
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will fill time no union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
10/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, that is legal. There is no law, state or federal, that requires an employer to pay an employee for PTO, vacation time, sick leave, or so forth when their employment comes to an end. Rather, this is a matter of contract between the employer and employee. If you had an employment contract or company handbook that said employees would be paid for it, that would be different, as a refusal to then turn it over to you would be a breach of the agreement.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.

If you have any additional questions about this matter, please don't hesitate to reply back to me and I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page as that is the ONLY way experts like myself are credited by the site for our time and assistance. Thanks again!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer