How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20400
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am adjunct instructor. I was given two classes to teach at

This answer was rated:

Hello; I am adjunct instructor. I was given two classes to teach at the university that are about to start on Monday. However, my supervisor is my former boyfriend and there is a restraining order on him. He has taken these two classes away from me two days ago.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything


Can you tell me what your question is and also, what have you done to try to resolve the issue.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do I have enough grounds to open a discrimination lawsuit? Since I was hired only while we were in relationship.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I haven't done anything yet to resolve the issue.

Hello again,

I don't see where you answered my question about what you have done to resolve the issue with your employer. That is key here because if you have not filed a discrimination complaint on the basis of sex (which is what you would have to try to use), with the employer's HR Department or EO Department, then there is no basis for a lawsuit. In other words, there are certain steps required in order to perfect a legal claim.

The first is to file the complaint I mentioned and allow the employer an opportunity to investigate and try to resolve your situation. If they can't, then you would file a discrimination complaint with the State or the EEOC. At that point, you would want to sit down with a local employment law firm to discuss your case in full and decide if you were going to wait for the agencies I mentioned to resolve the issue through mediation and investigation or, if you would going to file suit.

No way for me to guess whether or not you would have a successful case since I don't have the facts from the employer's perspective. But that is the process and your options.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could let me know that I covered your question and also take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page for my efforts to provide you with the information relevant to your issue, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there a specific way I should put my complaint with the HR or EO Departments? Should I put the complaint for both departments simultaneously?Thank you!

No, if there is an EO Department, my guess is that the school has a specific policy about filing complaints with them for discrimination versus filing with HR. In other words, you normally wouldn't file a complaint with both. You can certainly let HR know what is going on and letting them know you are filing a discrimination complaint. Best thing to do is to either go online to see if the school has a form or specific way they want complaints filed or call their office and see. Otherwise, there is no specific form the complaint should be in, just the facts surrounding why you believe you are being discriminated against and in what way and what you want the resolution to be, which is usually getting your classes back.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My supervisor can't communicate with me because of the stay away order and the injunction issued by court. Since he can't communicate with me, do I need to ask for a different supervisor or do I can I ask for a financial compensation. He was charged with battery.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also, since I was hired I don't even qualify to teach there. I have just obtained my Master's and my experience is greatly overemphasized, which I have exaggerated on my resume and wrote the letters of recommendations. He was fully aware of it and helped me to embellish in order to be able to be employed.

You just want to stick with your classes and letting them know what the specifics are that lead to the complaint. In that, they will know that there is an injunction against him. So, they should know that they can't have him supervise you. Honestly, they should probably terminate him, but you don't control that issue. At this point just wait and see what they say while letting them know you cannot work for him due to the injunction.

I can't get into the specifics with you, or predict how it will turn out since I am not your attorney, and can't be via this Site. So I can't really comment on the qualifications issue. However, if you aren't qualified, then that certainly doesn't help your case. Again though, just go through the steps and see what happens.

Marsha411JD and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much! You were a great help!

You're very welcome.