Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
99580155

I am starting a new job as an independent sales rep for a

I am starting a new job as an independent sales rep for a company and they send me a independent contractor agreement. It has 3 clauses in it that I am unsure about. I was interested in having an attorney review it.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full-time 'at will'
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How you charge for this service

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. The cost for this service will be $18 if you are satisfied with the results. I would be happy to review the contract if you can upload it here.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it will be $18 total to review the contract. There are 3 clauses I am not sure about if there reasonable.

Correct.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I trying to figure out how the save the PDF file sent to me so I can upload it.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please see attached file. Thank you.

I have received the contract. What sections do you have questions about?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Section s 4, 7, 8 and 9.

Regarding Section 4: You are selling extracts and oils, correct? It sounds like section 4 is just boiler plate that doesn't' apply to your specific situation. 'Work made for hire' is typically any product you make that is related to your job duties. For example, if you created advertisements for these extracts and distributed them, that would be considered property of your employer. I can't really think of any other examples, but if you are designing or producing anything related to selling these products, it would likely qualify as work made for hire.

Regarding Section 7: This is a pretty standard confidentiality clause. What specific questions do you have?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just if it was standard and if there were any concerns

Regarding Section 8: Both parties are agreeing not to sue each other for any actions related to the agreement. For example, lets say you sell these products, someone gets sick from using them, and you lose revenue from other sources (due to negative reviews, for example). Because of this clause, you could not sue the farm for loss of revenue.

Regarding Section 9: This is just standard boilerplate stating that there are no other agreements or promises regarding the quality of the products being sold or the terms of the contract.

All of these sections are pretty standard, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No. I just wanted to seek wise counsel and make sure is was a reasonable agreement. Do you think it is OK to sign and go forward...

Yes, it looks pretty typical and you should be comfortable signing it. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your assistance, Justin.

You are very welcome! Have a great day!