Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was terminated from my employment for a safety violation,

I was terminated from...

I was terminated from my employment for a safety violation, which they said was on a CCTV. I asked to see the video and they stated that I could not. Is that correct? Also, I was given a final paycheck, can I cash that and still take legal action against my employer if I feel I was wrongly terminated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sure California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

10/12/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry that you lost your job.

Answer: As you are aware, California is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Since the employer does not have to give you a reason for the termination, they also do not need to provide supporting evidence for the termination. However, if you believe that there was an illegal basis for the termination (such as discrimination or retaliation), then as part of a claim brought against the employer, they would have to provide the evidence.

You may cash the check and still bring a claim against the employer, such as for wrongful termination or for unpaid wages.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Thank you

You're very welcome.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi