Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer ask about expunged charges if they are state…

Can an employer ask...

Can an employer ask about expunged charges if they are state government

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union with a Fire Department

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I didn't get the job

10/12/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. Government can ask about all your convictions, even those that were later expunged. They can also see what private employers cannot, so if you don't give them the information they ask for, they will know that you are are not telling the truth.

The rule of thumb with a government employer on any level is to give them everything they ask for. You can always find a place on the application to note that the conviction was expunged.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
ok, thx :(

Same goes for licensing authorities. Anything governmental.

Good luck going forward!