Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been employed for Superior for 34 years. I was won…

My name is***** and...

My name is***** and I have been employed for Superior for 34 years. I was won Employee of the Year award twice with over 400 employees. With the company down siding, I was given numerous jobs which I exceeded expectation but with lots of overtime that I don't want. I worked 84 overtime in two weeks! My problem is a co-worker is retiring next Friday, and they want me to now take over his job too. I work in the lab and now to work in production too is crazy! They will not hire anyone. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Pa. but work in New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

We are not union. I am a full time employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

10/12/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Because you're an employee at will- meaning the terms and conditions of your job may be changed for any reason any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law- you don't have any leverage to force them to change your job back or not change at all. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful.
You probably can resign from the position and collect unemployment benefits if you desire. This is because the employer is materially change your job to something less desirable than what you started with.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer