Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a Certified Flight Instructor making an hourly wage of…

Customer Question
I am a Certified...

I am a Certified Flight Instructor making an hourly wage of $40/hr in Pueblo, Colorado. Is it mandatory for my employe to pay me Overtime for anything over 40/wk? Dave

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

As written above, it's Colorado.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Yes, anything that you work over 40 hours in a week requires that you receive overtime. Additionally, under Colorado law, overtime also includes time worked more than 12 hours in a day or shift. You could potentially recover not only the amount of overtime that you should have received plus a penalty amount equal to the amount that you were not paid.