Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My Former employee filed for NY unemployment. Is there

Hi, My Former employee filed for...
My Former employee filed for NY unemployment. Is there provisions in the law that allow me to protect it? Basically my question is what can be a cause for protecting the former employee's claim. I just want to see if this worth while pursuing this option?Thanks!
10/10/2017
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Can you please clarify what you mean when you say you want to protect the claim?

PROTEST. Challenge the former employee claims. Sorry,My questions are what is considered a valid protest claim?

Why was the employee terminated?

He didn't show up to work and as a result his production was low. I have it documented. Is this a valid reason?

Why didn't he show up for work?

He didn't tell us the reason. I guess it was something personal.

In that case you probably have a good chance of protesting his claim successfully. Employees that are terminated for cause can't seek unemployment. So, if he was terminated for not showing up to his shift, that would be considered 'for cause.' However, if he was terminated because he simply couldn't keep up with the required production numbers (despite making an effort to do so), he probably would not be considered at fault, and could collect unemployment.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

thank you!Do you have a link or a NY reference for "for cause" examples? This was my initial questions.Thanks!

You are welcome. Here is the employer's guide published by the state of New York. It should have what you are looking for.

https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/IA318.2.pdf

Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer