Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I recently have not been reciveing my unemployment. They

Customer Question
hi JA: Hello. How can I...
hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: So I recently have not been reciveing my unemployment. They denialed a week becuase i was late for a reentry work program. causin me to have to withdrawal from my 401k. Now they are deniing my claims until I have an interveiwing causing me to need more money from my 401K. How does these withdrawals impact my unemployment?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nj
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will. i was laid off
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Your unemployment benefits will be reduced in any week where you take funds out of your 401(k). However, the benefit can't be reduced before zero. If you're expecting them to not pay benefits due to your withdrawal, you can take out enough to cover both weeks.

Also note that, if you're not yet 59.5 years old, there will be an automatic 10% penalty levied by the IRS, which you have to pay when you file your taxes at the end of the year. You're also responsible for regular income taxes on that money (depending on your overall financial picture). Some people choose to withdraw a bit extra to cover those amounts.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer