Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was overpay by colorado unemployment I misreported my

I was overpay...

I was overpay by colorado unemployment I misreported my hours i did not understand the system and unemployment works my fiance explained to me and I understand a little better I was fired from my job because I got injured they tried to deny me unemployment benefit, my fiance helped me appeal and we won the appeal and received benefits I thought the employer paid it, I didn't know the State paid . I thought the employer fired me improperly and tried to deny and lost the case and to pay a penalty. I have always worked 2-3 jobs a week to make it. I thought I could receive my hours at my part time job enough to get health plan to pay for my medications and still receive the benefits that I thought those bad people at my old employer had to pay. Now the State is telling me I have to repay a lot of money plus a big penalty and my old employer is reported double hours and pay. I got paid 2x a month and they are reporting as 1 week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time ,no union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employer claimed that i did not follow proper procedure, but we proved at appeal hearing that they were making up lies to deny

10/9/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

how do i fight this ?
what sort of defense do I have ?
dont have money, my only asset is my home, can they go after my home for this?

Thank you for the information.

You need to file for reconsideration (Application for Reconsideration) and then state your reasons for asking for reconsideration: the amount owed is not correct, hours worked were not computed correctly. If your application for reconsideration is denied, then you should file Application for Waiver of the Overpayment on the ground that you do not have any resources to pay the money back. The unemployment office should provide you the proper forms to file the applications.

As for your home, you are protected by homestead exemption in the home up to $75,000.00 of the equity in the home. I doubt the State would force the sale of your home to pay for the overpayment.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law