Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was a parking garage manager fired because i made a

Customer Question
I was a parking...

I was a parking garage manager fired because i made a comment to one of the company employee asking me about applying for a new position saying that "it's hard job as a lady i will not advise you going for but if you think that you really like it i will support application if leaders ask my opinion". fifteen days after our conversation I was fired and the reason was "sex discrimination" I don't believe that I did because I support the lady who was hired and trained her. Knowing that the HR department make decision for new candidates. I don't think that this decision was fair. Help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Boston Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Yes, it is. no union and full time.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, employment in MA is at will and unless you had a written contract or union contract to the contrary, you could be terminated for no reason at all or for any reason not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.

It is a brand new world in the workplace I am afraid. Making a comment like you said above, "it is a hard job as a lady..." is considered sexually discriminatory now, whereas maybe 20 years ago it was not. Courts now even find discrimination when an employer tells an employee they do not want them doing certain tasks because they are pregnant and do not want them to get hurt. So what used to be concern about employees now is called discrimination.

Thus, legally, the employer could terminate you for no reason or any reason not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and your sole recourse is filing for unemployment and appealing the unemployment decision and explain your comment to the appeal officer to get your benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.