Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am working with someone now and wanted a second opinion on…

Customer Question
I am working with...

I am working with someone now and wanted a second opinion on whether or not we should take our case federal or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time my current lawyer says that they found just cause to take take our case to state but is insisting that we take it federal because we can get more money but im not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

What questions may I help you with,thanks.

Hi I used to work full time for a charter school and was sexually harassed by a colleague and threatened (he said he was going to shoot me and my daughter) after ibreported him to my superior. There was little to no disciplinary action for him and at the end of the year during my review they fired me saying it was because I was late but I've only ever been late one time. I took my case to an employment lawyer and he said the state found "just cause" So he is recommending that we take the case federal (for a 10,000 fee) and says that we can make 6 figures . I'm worried about fronting the money and not winning the case because from what I've read discrimination cases are hard to win. The question is whether or not I should take the case federAl I'm looking for a 2nd opinion
Also the hiring policy at the school was at will

Well its a risk here but it could be a big settlement.Often these settle along the way and you may recoup your money.It sounds like he thinks you have great facts to pursue the case.

I am so sorry they mistreated you here.If yo file with EEOC and get a findings letter called a right to sue letter then you know you have validated claim.

Lawyer should help you file with EEOC

File here

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

I would consider EEOC complaint and a federal suit.You cold be due a substantial settlement.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.

Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.

Ok! He is saying we have the facts I guess I'm wondering if we should do federal vs. state? Is there pros to going federal?

These are almost always federal suits.