Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a company that eliminated all employees that had…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a company that eliminated all employees that had my job title on May 5th of this year. I am still considered to be an employee with this company due to I was out on short term disabilty. My short term disability will end on November 3rd. My HR consultant advised me that I have 2 choices: 1, end disability on November 3rd, I will receive severance pay along with 8 months additional medical insurance; 2, continue with long term disability and Metlife will continue to pay me 60% of my salary for up to 2 years and I will not receive the severance pay or no addition insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I am facing another surgery due to my ankle/heel did not heal properly. I will be out of commission another 4 - 6 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My first thought is: I have to end disability and take my severance pay along with the insurance to get me through this next surgery. My question is: Can my employer legally do this if I take long term disability. Meaning no health insurance or severance pay. Sorry for the long post but I do not know anyone that would have the knowledge about this. Thank you for your time.. Carla

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, non union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Once an employee goes out of work beyond the 12 weeks protected under the Family and Medical Leave Act, the employer can make the employee on long term disability cover the costs of their insurance. However, if you are looking at additional surgeries and they will cover your insurance for 8 months, this is a significant financial burden that would be lifted off of you. The downside to this is after your weeks of salary under the severance, you would have no further income such as the 60% from the long term disability. So in making this decision, you need to weigh if the 60% and paying for insurance would work for your situation, but if you can do with less income and getting insurance paid for 8 additional months, it is likely the best financial deal for you (as it is legal to make you pay for your insurance on long term disability).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.