Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is it a violation of FMLA if the employer knew that an

employee had a serious health...
Is it a violation of FMLA if the employer knew that an employee had a serious health issue and fired that employee, when 12 weeks of FMLA could have resolved the issue.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time, I don't think there is a union.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The employer, Florim Tile, Clarksville, TN, knew of the serious health condition that required hospitalization in February 2017, after a week to 10 days the employee was back at work. Very little missed time until July 2017 at which time he was trying to get meds regulated. On a Friday, in July he told his supervisor that he did not need to be at work that day he was fired. The supervisor said he was faking.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The employee could pursue a claim for retaliation and wrongful termination where reacted to the medical condition in this way and deprived/denied such leave. Often such claims will be negotiated by employment counsel locally leading to a settlement, but otherwise one can pursue court action as well! Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the most important facts to submitting a claim for retaliation and wrongful termination.

A chronology of events that would identify the condition, knowledge of the condition, any comments made, the conduct/retaliation/termination with focus on any texts or e-mails sent

A good timeline based on these facts can help produce an early settlement as company often wants to avoid the risk and costs.

If I can clarify anything let me know.

Kindly let me know if the answer is acceptable by replying "Yes" or "acceptable"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have any other suggestions? Will the $38 charge be the only withdrawal from my account.

Only charge.

I would try to collect names of witnesses as well who can help confirm the chain of events and which will supplement your documents and narrative, all of which helps in the negotiation.

Infolawyer, Lawyer

Good luck and have a nice weekend.

Kindly rate me 5 stars on your screen.

Infolawyer, Lawyer