Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My 55 year old husband had a minor stroke 5 weeks ago, he…

Customer Question
Hello, my 55 year...

Hello, my 55 year old husband had a minor stroke 5 weeks ago, he stayed in the hospital 1 day and went back to work 2 days later. My husband plays an important part in the company that he works for. He has been open with them about his condition. And now they are telling him that they want him to sign a paper stating they are cutting his hours ( which is his pay) down to 25 hrs a week and will reassess 12/31/17. His neurologist has put no work restraints on him. They had no problem with him working 60-70 hrs a week before the stroke. The paper needs to be signed today we are not sure what are legal right are. We know its short notice but we have been trying to reach a lawyer for a couple of days with no luck. We need to know our legal options, and should he not sign this paper.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time employment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That at this point we need to know if my husband should or should not sign the change in employment paper , which says he agrees to the cut in hours and pay. Also they say in the letter that they are bringing in another person to do his job

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Your husband should NOT sign this agreement until he meets with an employment attorney. It sounds like the company may be engaging in discriminatory actions against your husband, There may be age discrimination as well as discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Even if your husband is not disabled, if they treat him like he is and take actions that negatively affect his employment that too is a violation.

In addition to contacting an Employment Attorney your husband may wish to file a complaint with the Massachussets Commission Aganinst Discrimination:

https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-commission-against-discrimination

This agency is charged with regulating employers on these issues. It will cost him nothing to file the complaint and it is the first step before he can take legal action in any case.

You can use this link to help you find a local employment attorney:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Employment-Law-Employee/Massachusetts

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney