Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a dance teacher and i am classified as an ic, can my…

Customer Question
I am a dance...

I am a dance teacher and i am classified as an ic, can my boss tell me what music i am aloud to use

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im classified as an Independent Contractor

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

As you may have already read elsewhere, in order to be properly classified as an independent contractor, a worker must retain significant control over the manner and means by which they do their work. This is a vague standard because ultimately "significant control" is judged by the totality of the circumstances and not by any one thing.

So it's certainly possible to have a properly classified independent contractor who is li mited in terms of what music they are allowed to use. However, that in combination with other facts could be used to argue that the contractor no longer as significant control. For instance, if the contractor is also told how to teach their classes, is provided all the tools for their classes, is prohibited from working for other studios, and is forced to work specific hours, all that together would make for a strong case of misclassification. But there is no law that you could point to which says that you can't tell an independent contractor dance teacher what music to use. And in any case, the employer can certainly require it if they so choose, it just then becomes a question of whether contractor status is appropriate. So you can't simply refuse, your recourse would be to complain to the labor board that you are misclassified and then go through the process of getting set up as an employee.