Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am in Massachusetts and just left a part time job as a…

Customer Question
I am in Massachusetts...

I am in Massachusetts and just left a part time job as a receptionist at a massage therapy office. I was "asked to leave" after asking my Employer why my pay was two weeks behind and if payroll was going to get caught up. Now she owes me for the 5 hours for the last Tuesday that I worked before "asking me to leave the office" because she did not want to discuss her financial business with me of why she was behind and why collection agencies were calling the office. It is now a week from my last day there and still no deposit for my last 5 hours. What are my options for getting paid? I have emailed her and texted her with no response asking and requesting paystubs from the beginning of hire too?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Independent contractor, and part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I requested at the time of conversation that she write me a check for pay before I left and she said she "did not have any checks". There was never any consistancy in day of deposits throughout the 9 weeks that I was employed with her.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

We can continue here thanks

The Massachusetts Wage Act is one of the strongest wage laws in the country, protecting employees who don’t receive earned wages, salaries, commissions and other forms of compensation. What makes the law so strong? First and foremost, once an employee files a case for unpaid wages in court in Massachusetts, they are entitled to three times those wages if they win. In addition, the law provides that the employer, and not the employee, must pay for the employee’s attorneys’ fees and court costs. It can very expensive for employers who fail to pay earned wages

You can start by filing a Wage Complaint with the MA Attorney General. You can get the complaint form online and instructions for proceeding at the following link:

MA WAGE CLAIM

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if your question was answered satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer