Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked for a company for 6 years still there, the company…

Customer Question
I worked for a...

I worked for a company for 6 years still there, the company was sold to a larger compnay. we are now being told our division are leased workers and not part of the company , we were never told this prior can they do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time permanent is what we signed when hired

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no legal definition of what it means to be a "leased worker." It sounds like what they are saying is that your division is not a permanent fixture of the new company and that you may be let go. There is nothing unlawful about this, unfortunately, as employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary and as such can always be terminated, with or without good cause.

I truly wish I had better news to share. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....