Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have recently learned that, among our full time staff at…

Customer Question
I have recently learned that...
I have recently learned that, among our full time staff at an educational institution, some of us are paid 1.5 times the hourly wage for additional adjunct work while others are not. This is completely parallel-- both in full time positions and in adjunct work done. Is this legal? How should I proceed if this is being done to me and a co-worker?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

In New York and pretty much every other state, you're only owed 1.5 times hourly rate for hours in excess of 40 per workweek, and that is if you are paid an hourly basis. If I understand your question correctly, you are paid hourly and would be owed 1.5 times hourly rate for hours in excess of 40. The fact that it is for adjunct work is not material to the question. Rather, the question is whether you're working more than 40 hours per week. Likewise, that others were paid a premium for adjunct work, doesn't mean that everyone else has to be paid a premium for that. Again, the issue is whether you are paid the 1.5 times hourly rate for hours in excess of 40. You can go back three years in time and claim/file a lawsuit for the rate for all hours in excess of 40 less what you were paid for straight time.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Thanks for your reply. However, I do not believe my original issue was understood, as I have no answer. I will clarify presently. This issue is not about working in excess of 40 hours weekly. In academia, it is customary to pay educators 1.5 times their time at work due to preparation and grading needs above class time. So typically, an educator who teaches a 6 hour class is paid 9 hours for preparation and grading. This practice is being done for SOME of the full time educators where I work, and NOT for others. We are in identical positions, working identical adjunct hours/responsibilities. However, my director has chosen to pay some of us 1.5 times our adjunct hours and NOT others. This seems like discrimination to me. Do I have legal grounds for insisting that I be compensated at the same rate my peers have been?

There is no law mandating the 1.5x hourly rate for prep and granding above class time. The only way you could make such a case is if were discriminatory against you for a protected reason, such as your age, race, gender or religion etc., or that there was a contractual obligation of the school. The fact that others are paid it and you were not is not inherenly illegal absent these additional factors. In other words, absent a contract, the school has no obligation to pay everyone the same rates.

John, Employment Lawyer