Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I collect unemployment benefits if I was fired four yrs.

Customer Question
ago do to having to...
Can I collect unemployment benefits if I was fired four yrs. ago do to having to call in several times being under a Dr. Care.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

At the time you were fired, did you have a disability or condition that affected one or more life functions? Did you request leave or intermittent time off under the Family and Medical Leave Act?

Have you been either looking for work or unable to work over the past 4 years? If you weren't able to work before, are you able to work and looking for work now?

I was having issues do to having manic depression in changing my medication that was to strong where it made me drunk when I got up to get dressed for work. While having other medical problems I was emerging do to a very large syst on my ovaries where I had to have a historectomy and remove my ovaries. Then I had to have surgery on both of my hands for carpol syndrome. Which that made both of my hands in worst conditions. I had each operation one after the other after each recovery on them.
No I didn't ask for medical leave cause I didn't know what the diagnoses was at that time I was being seen by the Dr. For my medical problems and my supervisor knew cause I took all my medications in to show when I took my Dr. Excuse. And the supervisor before the one that fired me also knew That I was being seen by the Dr's.
no I couldn't work after all my medical issues and I can't. Work the kind of jobs that I have been doing cause My hands won't. Shut completely. And all my fingers get stuck and My Dr. said that my hands are going to be worse that they will both draw in a closed position permently do to the surgery. And I loose my balance and fall quite often now do to week knees where I can't get my self up.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having these problems.

Unemployment insurance is unfortunately limited to someone who is physically capable of working but unable to find work through no fault of their own. If you're not medically able to work right now, you are not eligible for unemployment. You may want to contact Social Security to see if you qualify for disability benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Bradley

have you asked for a new expert?