Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a salaried employee (assistant store manager) be

Can a salaried employee...

Can a salaried employee (assistant store manager) be required to work more than 40 hours a week, six days in a row without overtime pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Winco Foods, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

10/3/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If the employee is "salaried exempt," they can be required to work an unlimited number of hours for the same flat rate pay. In fact, this is the very essence of what it means to be a salaried exempt employee.

Managers are eligible for "salaried exemption," but only if they spend the majority of their time engaged in management activities and retain significant control when it comes to hiring, firing and other important management decisions. See here for more information about the requirements for exemption under the "managerial" (aka "executive") exemption from overtime.

If you don't believe you qualify for the managerial exemption from overtime due to the nature of your work, you can file a wage claim with the DLSE to recover compensation for all hours you worked before 8 per day or 40 per week. But if you do appear to qualify for the exemption, your employer is within their rights to only pay a flat rate salary, as this is what it means to be salaried exempt.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer