Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I leave in Ga. Friday my employer asked for me to go home…

Customer Question
I leave in Ga...

I leave in Ga. Friday my employer asked for me to go home until further notice. I wasn't given an explanation other than a teammate had just quit and sent an email stating that I was not a good manager. Sunday my employer asked for me stay home again because they are still investigating. I was never asked anything but I did send an email sharing my concerns with how things are handled and to address some of the allegations in the email. A manager only read part of the email to me. I received a message to meet and it say for "fact" finding is the purpose of the meeting. Should I resign or what? I've heard that when this happens they terminate. Also a colleague has already asked if I still work there?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've been with the bank for 7 months. I was an anticipatory hire and I wasn't placed into a branch until August. I have not completed all my training prior to being placed in the role. I recently received my 90day performance review and it was all satisfactory without any concerns. I've been in bank mgmt for 12 years and I have never experienced anything like this. This is what I was told in the email that the banker sent to HR: unprofessional dress, not a good leader, late arrivals

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing that you need to know is that Georgia is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

As far as resignation is concerned, if you do that you might be giving up a chance to file for unemployment. Yes, it saves the fact for your resume so that you can show that you did this on your own accord rather than being terminated, but if you want to file for unemployment in the meantime that might make it difficult, because you'd have to show that you were terminated due to no fault of your own to get unemployment. If you quit, that's not such a situation. Now if you're given an option to quit or be fired, then that's really not your own decision. Basically it's looked at if you had an option to continue working or not. If you do have that option, and you quit, you're not going to get unemployment. If you don't have the option, it really doesn't make any difference.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

Please note that I am still waiting for your response or rating...