Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A friend working in a state library, for over a year, has…

Customer Question
A friend working in...

A friend working in a state library, for over a year, has been told that they are letting her go because she doesn't fit with "their culture". They are an at will employer. However, this person did nothing wrong to be fired for. Can they still let her go?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dubuque Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, and "at will".

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all. Thank you.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do your friend have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Does your friend believe she was treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?