Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My CEO has continue to send emails whereby he has stated he…

Customer Question
My CEO has continue...

My CEO has continue to send emails whereby he has stated he hates me, etc. Tuesday of last week he physically threaten to throw me against the wall. I was in closed door with him although after sending an official email, he admitted he was only trying to diffuse the situation. Other I believe heard it, although it it a private company and only ex-employees will come forward - as they to were pushes physically by the CEO.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes, I sent my official letter by email and received response back by the CEO and not anything in writing from HR.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am a full time salaried employee - as the personal assistant to the President.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure what is needed...but have supporting emails to show negative comments leading up.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Depending on the situation, you may have a cause of action for assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, or discrimination. Assault occurs when one party is subject to an immediate apprehension of an offensive touching. Intentional infliction of emotional distress occurs when one party intentionally or recklessly causes severe emotional distress in another party. Under 42 USC 2000e-2, an employer may not discriminate against an employee. It is possible that your CEO may be in violation all three of these things with their actions, but it depends in part on whether his actions put you in an immediate apprehension of an offensive touching, if his actions were intentional, whether you were subject to emotional distress, or whether he was discriminating against you. Do you think any of these things apply?