Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How (or is there a deadline) do I have to get the death

Customer Question
How long (or is there...
How long (or is there a deadline) do I have
to get the death certificate of my husband (who died Sept. 15, 2017) to a SS office? I'm in FL.Can I go to any county, or does it have to be
the one I reside in?Puzzled about questions of provide proof of income with W-2 statements or self-emp. info;
my husband was a consulting engineer 35 yrs. with one company thru 2 ownership changes. Sondra Smith, Ft.White, FL
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

My condolences on your loss. There is no deadline to file the death certificate with social security. In most cases in fact, the funeral home notifies them of the person's passing (if you have given them your spouse's social security number). If you are looking to apply for survivor benefits, you can go to any office, but it may be easier to contact your local social security office and make an appointment, so you don't spend as much time waiting once you get there. More information on how to apply for survivor benefits can be found here on the SSA website.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.