Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently received a job offer through a local propane

Customer Question
company. My job will consist...
I recently received a job offer through a local propane company. My job will consist of driving a tank truck and delivering propane. I still have to go through a pre-employment background check. The only thing I have on my record is a 3rd degree misdemeanor charge in 2008. I was also labeled as a tier on sex offender. I have nothing else on my record. The hiring manager also knows of my charge and still offered me the job. Can they still deny me the job because of my offense
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 10 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

In Ohio there is limited protection of employees with criminal records. It is discriminatory to ask job applicants about arrests that did not result in convictions, unless a bona fide occupational qualification is certified in advance by the Commission (OH Rev. Stat. Sec. 4112.02). Further, state law provides that a job applicant may not be questioned about any arrest for which the records have been expunged. However, there is nothing that would prohibit them from denying you employment at this point or even terminating you later on for having the record. That you passed the intital interview process makes no difference in this.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.