Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

When filling out a I-9 for an employer (because of a

Customer Question
When filling out a...

When filling out a I-9 for an employer (because of a marriage name change) I submitted copies of stand-in documents (cert. of naturalization and marriage license) I have since updated my passport and social security card. I have submitted the needed copies of the updated documents. HR office refuses to return the copies of these two stand-in foundational documents with a great deal of personal information.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Monroe County, Pa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's at will and part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have tried to resolve the issue internally and written a letter to the general manager with no response. I'm worried.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

What is your specific question?

Can the HR dept. refuse to return copies of stand-in documents (for Form I9) after being provided with corrected documents as required.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. But first, I need to emphasize that I am not a court officer, a legislator who makes the laws, or a judge. I do not make any decisions about your case. I am only here to provide you with information about the situation. So please do not hold negative or bad news against me. I am just a messenger.

When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The employer is not violating any laws, and therefore is permitted to make and keep copies of supporting documents related to the I-9. There are legitimate reasons to do so, including employment audits by government agencies.

I hope that answers your questions. I know that is not really what you wanted to hear or the outcome you expected or wanted, but again, I do not make the rules and therefore have no control over the outcomes. I am just a messenger of the information you seek, so please do not hold that against me.

Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer