Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had a person who worked for me for 2.5 years and I asked…

Customer Question
I had a person...

I had a person who worked for me for 2.5 years and I asked if she wanted to continue with 1099 form as she worked for me a couple of weeks a year before then and asked if she wanted to continued as a 1099 or regular emplyement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She said she do her taxes herself. and then she said she hurt herself at work and I was told I didn't have to pay workman's comp on a 1099

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Someone who is been working for you for 2 1/2 years, probably cannot be classified as a 1099 worker. In other words, if her regular employment is with you, she's relying on that job financially to support her, you're controlling her work, her schedule and how she does her work, then you really don't have an argument that she's a 1099 worker. There are significant penalties for not caring workers compensation insurance on employees. Thus, my best advice to you in the situation would be to determine what her medical bills will be as well as lost wage from injury and offered to compensate her some amount for that rather than her going in filing a lawsuit or filing with workers comp against you in which case will be penalized by the state quite significantly.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer