Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My union official undid an agreement made between a union…

Customer Question
My union official undid...

My union official undid an agreement made between a union steward and manager that was made on my behalf.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

On May 22 2017 I entered into Department 3300. I spent 2 weeks in training with the trainer for 3300 along with 6 other employees. The trainer informed me at that end of the 2 weeks that he was passing me this was also verified by Geno Olivastri the Materials manager that I passed the training.
I was told by the clerk that I would have to go to C Shift. I spoke with Geno about doing my 2 week shadowing on A Crew. Geno told me that he would have to work that out with Safety and the Union.
I spoke with the Committeeman that was in office at the time, ***** *****, and he told me that I did not have to go to C Crew he would look into it and work something out.
However, this all came about during the election. Before Chris left office there was not a resolution to the situation.
The new A Crew Steward, while at the PIV meeting in July spoke with Geno and Chautay Smith, UAW Safety Representative, about doing my 2 week shadowing on A Crew. All were in agreement that it would fulfill the safety requirements and gave approval. This was also verified by the Labor Supervisor as well as the EH&S manager that there would be no issue.
I attempted to fulfill the 2 weeks of shadowing when I was told that I can longer drive a Hilo. Since then I have been informed that I will have to wait until if & when there will be another class and that I would have to do the 30 days training all over again.
I would like to see the rules & regulations that state that. I have copies of all sign in sheets to verify I completed the 2 week training.
I also put in a bump slip after being advised by the clerk to do so. I would like to see rules and regulations that support my bump not being honored. There is a driver on A Crew that just recently received her permanent license and was allowed to bump while having a 30 day temporary license.
Please advise as soon as possible so that I can get clarification on this situation.
Thank you,
Shanya Sulton
FCA/Warren Stamping
UAW Ergonomic Analyst Local 869(###) ###-#### TL(###) ###-####**@******.***
Thank you,
Shan

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was any of this agreement put into writing? Have you filed a grievance yet with the union and sought arbitration?

My committee person is pressuring the steward to not write my grievance

Thank you for your reply.

As a union employee, your only legal recourse is through the grievance process. Other than the grievance/arbitration process, your employer has the right to decide where you work and when you work. So if the union gave you this deal then your sole recourse now that they do not want to honor the deal would be through that internal contractual grievance arbitration process.

So you need to insist on your rights under the contract for filing a grievance and if the union refuses, then you can file a complaint with the State Labor Board or the National Labor Relations Board for an unfair labor practice of your union for failure to abide by their contractual duty to represent your rights and interests with the employer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.