Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If a city provides a employee all the benefits it will

Customer Question
Second opinion] If a...

Second opinion] If a city provides a employee all the benefits it will provide upon retirement and the person signs with the city for a job with this understanding, can the city change the benefits after 18 years. Would this be classified as a contract and be illegal? This is about health insurance. In my case, I signed up to be a police officer with this understanding and now after 18 years, I am being told, since i have another full time job, i have to sign up for their insurance and not us the city's and then when I really retire, I can sign up with the city insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Fort Worth, Texas and the City of Fort Worth.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

When i hired in 1975, we did not have a union just an association. Police officers were covered under state civil service. Now they have Meet and Confer but they are dealing with current police officers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In my case, I retired in 2000 withe the city insurance. When i went to the retirement board, I had to make a choice. I had to take the city health insurance and it will be with me as well as my wife or walk out the door without it and never be able to get back on the city insurance. This is a cost cutting move.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This is actually an exceedingly common situation with insurance provided in retirement. When they draft these benefits, they are for people in retirement and not eligible for other insurances.

If your original benefit is drafted in that way, then it isn't a breach of contract because the contract itself requires that when you go back to work, you must accept that insurance and you only really get city insurance when you are truly retired from working.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer