Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been harassed, bullied and have had my reputation…

Customer Question
I have been harassed...

I have been harassed, bullied and have had my reputation damaged at my workplace, by another worker. I am currently going through the investigative process due to lodging a complaint. Retaliation has occurred as a result. This has affected my health, and my job negatively. I want to resign with a 1 year severance package. Is this possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I believe it is "at will" Salary + commission position.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The work place is hostile. The retaliation was channeled to my customers, placing me in a negative spotlight, and damaging my reputation. I want to leave the job, and will have to leave the industry to replace the job.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You should email employer about such a severance package as means to resolve your complaint and move forward.I would also include a request for a neutral job reference and that they will not oppose UI claim.See if they will do all of this as you deserve it.If you get the year and nothing more that pretty good resolution but ask for these other things to see if they negotiate or accept your offer.

These are some ideas to try and get a fair severance to me this is the least I would settle for given the complaint and circumstances.This would give you a year, and another 6 months if you get UI benefits to look for another position.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.I will say a little prayer for you too.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

I believe they may request a non-compete. Do you have any recommendation on negotiating this?

Try for 90 days or less.You want to be able to look for another job.