Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was the victim of a retaliatory discharge by a former

Customer Question
I was the victim...

I was the victim of a retaliatory discharge by a former employer. is there an advantage in retaining a lawyer before going through the EEOC process or should I go first to the EEOC, obtain a right to sue letter and then retain a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I’m very sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, under 42 USC 2000e-2, it is unlawful for an employer to take a negative employment action against an employee on the basis of a protected characteristic such as race, age, gender, religion, color, sexual orientation or disability. An employee can go through the EEOC process to have a full investigation done and resolve the matter informally or may bring the process through an administrative hearing with a local hearing officer. Most often, a person can be represented by a lawyer or a representative of their choosing who is familiar with the law and procedure of a discrimination complaint. Because of the lengthy time for investigation, the usually massive amount of documentation, and the probability that the Agency will ask for depositions and send a person through a discovery request, it is usually advisable to find an attorney in advance even before a right to sue letter is issued. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Wisconsin LRS click here.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.