Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

After a social conversation over lunch it was mentioned that…

Customer Question
After a social conversation...

After a social conversation over lunch it was mentioned that my friend wanted me to take a pic of a female employee who was well endowed. two days later same female employee said she thought I was taking pictures of her. I never took any pictures, one of my co-workers must of said something about the conversation therefore creating a bad situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Not yet, trying to get my facts straight.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Was full time, now I am no longer employed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person who slandered me has done so on multiple occacsions.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. What is your specific question I can assist with? Are you asking if you can sue for defamation?

the said employee is a know skinhead, racist, who spent 8.5 years in prison, and he is aware that I don't believe in those things. he has repeatedly tried to use defamation to make me look bad over the last few months.

Thank you for your reply.

In order to prove defamation, you need to be able to prove that a defendant:

1) Intentionally or nengligenly
2) Made a false statement or statements about you (either in writing or orally)

3) To a third party
4) Which caused you damages.

It sounds like, if I am understanding correctly, that their false claims caused you to be terminated, so you do have damages in the sense of lost wages. So, you very well indeed may have a good case for defamation. That said, the question you have to ask is if you could sue this person and be successful, do they have the assets or income to actually pay a judgment? Because while they could be found liable, if they don't have anything for you to collect, you could spend a lot of time and money chasing after them trying to collect on a judgment and never get a dime, sadly. And if this person were to declare bankruptcy and wipe out any judgment, then you would never get anything. So definitely something to think about.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer