Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My former employer that I left 9 months ago accused me if…

Customer Question
My former employer that...

My former employer that I left 9 months ago accused me if stealin. When I left, cash and checks he couldn't find deposits for but I know happened. I just checked what is coming in the mail to me and something is coming from his accountants to me me I'm nervous. He mixes personal and business expenses, he was the one who took all deposits to the bank, and I made him aware when at least one time I was suspicious of theft activity activity from the in the office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I know they are accountants not lawyers, so they aren't serving me. I was full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I quit in December of dec. of 2016 before he made there accusations in January. Because I was uncomfortable with how he ran his business and kept his books.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

When I called a couple weeks after I left because I hadn't received my final paycheck that's when he seemed be be aware his books were off. (My official title when hired was bookkeeper, then a month in he layer off the receptionist doubling my work load.) and he started saying money is missing and I was just dropping money in envelope and sending it somewhere.
One instance he said a $3,000 check wasn't coming up in his quickbooks, and lots of cash was missing from his deposits. To the bank. But when I asked if wasn't showing on the deposits I gave to him to take to the bank he just said it wasn't their jon
I would most likely be hearing from him. That was 9 months ago. I thought he figured it. Now I see something will be coming in the mail to me from his accountants.
So my question is if he does think I stole from him, or his accountants think so are they sending me proof? I made the deposits gave to him to take the bank, he could change them before they got to the bank, he regularly took him days to get them there.
He mixes his personal and business expenses on the same credit card as a bookkeeper that made me uncomfortable. It was a comfortable environment as a whole I was the only female with many off color jokes.

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the information. However, I still do not see a specific question.

What is your question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Can he pursue me?
My specific question is does he have a case? His mixing of personal and business expenses, haveing access to funds and going in there changing them himself, he'd send himself money from the business, him taking the deposits from the business to the bank from the business, does he have a case saying I'm the one who took the money?
Is there a statue of limitations also on this sort of thing?
Even though I'm innocent, quickbooks says I'm the one that made changes on certain invoices at certain things even though I wasn't employed at that time. I noticed that while I was employed there.
Are you there?

Yes, I am still here. I had to attend to other things while waiting for your response.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and get back to you.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether or not he has a case against you based on the information that you have provided here. However, if or when he files a case against you, you would have opportunity to defend yourself. It would be prudent at that time to retain a local Attorney to represent you.

Is there a statue of limitations for a case such as this?

I will need to check Statute of Limitations for embezzlement and get back to you.

Kindly give me time to research this. I am not going to post this in seconds because I will need to research it.

accounts sending me something isn't a case or necessarily a valid case correct?
I have my answer on the statue thank you though

Statute of Limitations is one year after discovery.

Right now how I know they are sending me something is informed delivery by Usps. I won't receive for a few days because I now longer live in montana. So it will be forwarded.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your follow-up questions. Kindly clarify.

Oh ok thank you, ***** ***** amount varies if is feleany or misdemeanor correct?
I'm just try to prepare for the worst

Yes, that is correct.

A letter or whatever the accounting firm I know he uses is sending me a piece of mail. I suspect it's regards ***** ***** company. They can't send me anything demanding legal action correct? Because they are not lawyers or serving me.
When the letter gets here I will see what it says

However, if or when a case is filed, it is prudent to retain an Attorney to make sure that your rights are protected. You really should not go this alone.

Response: Yes. Also even they are Attorneys, you must be properly served of any complaint filed with the Court in order for you to respond to it.

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

also even they are attorneys? I don't understand? I need to be properly served, is the mail considered properly served? Going to my old address?
Oh I got it just The if in there " even if they were attorneys"
A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. Thank you for your cooperation