Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Completed a survey back in June with a scathing appraisal of…

Customer Question
Completed a survey back...

Completed a survey back in June with a scathing appraisal of my boss, three month later, my position was eliminated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I also complained about my manager's neglect and unresponsiveness.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Sure it is is and the position was full time. I was told that my position was eliminated so they could make room for another position.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be enough for now. Thank you.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us about this issue.

I was terminatec because i complaibed about my boss.

Thank you for your reply.

Under Law, employment is at will. At will employees can be terminated for no reason or for any reason not based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and they have no legal recourse against the employer other than seeking unemployment benefits. There is no protection under state or federal law for employees who complain about their employer or supervisors I am afraid. So there is nothing saying that if an employee complains about a supervisor they could not as an at will employee be fired.

Thus, you had no legal protection from termination based on you complaining and thus the only legal recourse you have is filing for unemployment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.