Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an rn for 25 years. With no disciplinary action. I was…

Customer Question
I am an rn...

I am an rn for 25 years. With no disciplinary action. I was sent for a 7 drug screen because my employer said my speech was slurred and my mouth was dry. I take blood pressure medicine and phentermine to loose weight for my daughters wedding. I am one of the most productive nurses in the home Heath company. I was put on leave until the drug test comes back. I have a prescription for my medication. Can I be fired? Thank you,***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, no union, full time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

NO, if you have prescriptions for any medication you are taking, the employer cannot terminate you for being on medication. In fact, if the test comes back showing any medications then you are supposed to go to the Medical Review Officer and upon proving you have valid prescriptions to the MRO, the MRO is supposed to certify your prescription and mark the test clear to the employer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.