Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked for the same company for 13 years. First I was…

Customer Question
I have worked for...

I have worked for the same company for 13 years. First I was on the line crew and was treated very unfairly. They would leave me flagging traffic for sometimes up to 12 hours with no break in 90 degree weather no water nothing. I filed a grievence and was moved to the water plant to train as a water plant operator. I was told I would be trained so that I could make my license. I never received any training was just there basically as a gofer. Anything I learned I learned on my own. I took classes outside of work so I could pass the math part of the testing at my own expense. I asked management several times for the training I needed for the rest of the test. They never did. My boss paid the money needed to take the test without my knowledge. Now they are saying if I don't take the test or if I fail it that I won't have a job. Can they do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time I have been with them 13 years. we have a work manuel but I'm not sure if anything in there will cover this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's about it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It sounds like you are being treated very unfairly by this employer. Unfortunately, however, it is not illegal for an employer to be unfair, or to provide limited opportunity for advancement. Unfair treatment is only against the law if it is motivated by a legally protected trait, such as race or religion, in which case it becomes actionable under our civil rights laws.

Otherwise, since employment is "at will" in the state of VA absent an agreement to the contrary, employment can be modified or terminated at any time for virtually any reason, for or unfair, including not passing or not taking a particular test. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further....