Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I job share with another nurse who is resigning. She works 3…

Customer Question
I job share with...

I job share with another nurse who is resigning. She works 3 days a week and I work 2 days a week. Since she is resigning, they eliminated my position and posted the position online. Can my job just be eliminated like that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

? how do i know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; did you have an employment contract for a specified term?

no
i was told that i am hired for 16 hours a week position, more hours are worked bc of busyness

Thank you -

unfortunately if there is no union, and no term specified employment contract, the employer and employee may unilaterally terminate the employment "at will" which means for no reason, so long as it is not for an illegal reason (ie discrimination).

That information is stated here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FAQ_160174_7.pdf

I wish I had better news.

Most people are not aware of the lack of job security for at will employment.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer