Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

During my mid-year review my boss asked me if I was planning…

Customer Question
During my mid-year review...

During my mid-year review my boss asked me if I was planning on retiring. I am 65. Is he allowed to ask me that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I believe North Carolina is "at will" state. There is no formal agreement- e.g., contract. I am full time and am a SVP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are undergoing budget cutbacks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 10 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

It's really not wise for him to ask such a question as it implies age discrimination, which is of course illegal. However, it is not per se illegal to ask. In other words, if you are terminated at this point you now have evidence that you can use against the employer that this particular manager was biased against you in terms of your age. If you were to be terminated now, as part of cut backs or not, you should consider bringing an age discrimination claim against the employer.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.