Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My dad was recently let go for voicing his opinion with a…

Customer Question
My dad was recently let...
My dad was recently let go for voicing his opinion with a group of workers who were also voicing their opinion. One got offended and went to HR and turned my dad in saying he feels unsafe. It was over the NFL. My dad feels discriminated. The other gyts could freely voice their opinion without fear reprimand and my dad voiced his after asking if they wanted to hear it and they turned him in.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally under 42 USC 2000e-2, It is against the law to discriminate against a person on the basis of their race, religion, disability, or national origin. It gets a little bit more tricky when it comes to the issue of free speech. Generally, Free Speech simply means that the government cannot throw you in jail for voicing your opinion. On the other hand, private employers can. However, the ability for employers to do that is limited if it's discriminatory. For example, if your father is somebody who is the only practicing Christian in the building, and he was terminated, then that would be discriminatory. It would be up to the employer to prove that their actions were non-discriminatory. However, if they let him go strictly just because he said something about the NFL, then that wouldn't necessarily be discrimination. Did you have any other questions about this for me